About this course
This CPD event will provide an overview of the transformational teaching strategies skilfully woven throughout the HFL Reading Fluency Project, including modelled expressive reading, echo reading, repeated reading, performance reading, text marking, challenging text selection and modelling of comprehension skills.
Project participant pupils at KS2 have made an average of 2 years 3 months progress in their reading comprehension age following the eight-week intervention*. Furthermore, pupils typically demonstrated the following changes in reading behaviour: increased stamina, improved reading accuracy, increased enjoyment of reading, heightened confidence, and improved engagement with a range of reading material.
‘It will change the way you teach reading!’ Hertfordshire teacher.
This training provides a condensed version of the key messages and strategies which are shared with delegates through participation in the full KS1 and KS2 projects. This training is designed to meet the needs of the following participants:
- teachers/leaders working in schools who have previously taken part in the HFL Reading Fluency Project, who wish to learn more about the impactful strategies without repeating the full project;
- teachers/ECTs who have joined schools who have taken part in the HFL Reading Fluency Project, who wish to learn more about the impactful strategies without repeating the full project;
- trust leaders who are exploring the training with the intention of engaging all/a number of their schools in the full project. If you are a trust leader looking to explore the Key Stage 1/2 Reading Fluency Project for this purpose, please get in touch at email@example.com as we may be able to fully fund a place on this training.
This training is delivered as 3 sessions:
- Session 1: Understanding the intervention. This is a pre-recorded session. A link allowing access to this session will be sent to delegates 1 week before the delivery date for sessions 2 and 3. It is strongly advised that delegates access session 1 before attending sessions 2 and 3.
- Session 2: Delivering Session A. This live webinar will run from 1-2.30.
- Session 3: Delivering Session B and next steps. This live webinar will run from 2.45 -4.15
*outcomes are measured on the full project using the York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension
- have a deeper understanding of the effective strategies used in the HFL Reading Fluency Project
- to gain confidence in delivering the key pedagogical approaches
- to consider the reading profile of under attaining pupils
- feel confident to be able to implement the strategies back in the classroom
- be equipped with resources to implement aspects of the project
Ideally, your school will have previously participated in a past cohort of the full HFL KS1 or KS2 Reading Fluency Project.
- Event Type: Training: Webinar